Vibraphonist * Composer * Band Leader * Recording Artist * Producer * Educator
Eight Recordings as a leader that include seventy original compositions with tributes to Tito Puente, Bobby Hutcherson, and Cal Tjader. His recordings have appeared on numerous radio charts, syndicated radio programs (WOR radio network, Jazz after Hours, David Sanborn, Music Choice, United Airlines), received outstanding reviews.
Lower Manhattan Cultural Council Creative Engagement Grant Recipient
Producing the concert series Boricua Blues, Hell's Kitchen Soul Sauce, and Latin Music In Hell’s Kitchen, A History with guest legends Ray Mantilla and Jose Mangual Jr. performing at the Times Center, The Highliine, Pier 84, and Riverbank State Park in NYC.
Produced two Band Together benefit concerts. One for musicians affected by hurricanes Harvey, Irma, and Maria (Puerto Rico in particular) with proceeds going to the Jazz Foundation of America and the other after Hurricane Katrina, benefitting the Tipitinas Foundation and New Orleans–area musicians.
Commissioned arrangements and compositions for the Chicago Symphony Orchestra’s Percussion Scholarship Program (two decades) and a national percussion curriculum for China, 2014.
Concerts as leader include:
• Fox Jazz Festival, WI
• Riverfront Jazz Festival, WI
• Harlem Meer, Central Park, NYC
• Trinidad & Tobago Steelpan & Jazz Festival
• Festival Internacional, Terceira, Azores
• Jazz On The Green, Omaha, NE
• First Night Celebrations (various cities)
• IAJE International Convention, Atlanta, GA
• Rehoboth Beach Jazz Festival, DE
• Berks Jazz Festival, PA
• JVC Newport Jazz Festival, Saratoga, NY
• Hennessy Greenwich Village Jazz Festival
• NJ State Aquarium’s Jazzin the Deep Festival
• Penn Sate University tour
• Toured Portugal on grants from the Fulbright Foundation and the American Embassy (USIA)
• Mike Freeman ZonaVibe
• Mike Freeman Vibe Caliente
• Mike Freeman & Spellbound
• Ray Mantilla (18 years) Good Vibrations Band, Tres Amigos, Space Station
• Lucho Cueto’s (Allstar) Black Sugar
• Son Boricua (18 years) with Jose Mangual Jr. and the late Jimmy Sabater
• Boricua Blues Jose Mangual Jr.
• Mark Holen’s Zambomba
• Julio Salgado (20 Years)
• Willie Villegas Joe Cuba Sextet
• Timba Vibes
Performed with the Spanish Harlem Orchestra, directed by Oscar Hernandez at Madison Square Garden, and Willie Villegas Joe Cuba Sextet at NJ Salsa Congress both with legendary sonero Cheo Feliciano; Toros y Salsa Festival, Dax, France and Chim Pum Festival, Lima, Peru with Black Sugar; Latin Legends Concert at Aaron Davis Hall with Louis Bauzó; Cuban Fantasy at Weill Hall with Kathleen Landis
Studio sessions for Kirsten Thien, The Manhattan Transfer "Swing", Atlantic Records; Don Sebesky Foxwoods, "The Wonder of it All" featuring John Pizzarelli jr; Broadway stars Stephanie Pope "Now’s the Time to Fall in Love", and Capathia Jenkins with Lou Rosen "South Side Stories"; and Hale Rood (arranger for Louis Bellson), among others
Artist/Clinician Balter Mallets and formerly Musser Instrument Company
• Florida International University
• New York University
• Berklee College of Music, MA
• Ithaca College, NY
View/Download Mike Freeman Press Kit here